The man known as ‘Nick’ whose claims sparked the £2.5million Westminster VIP paedophile probe was finally unmasked yesterday.
For four years, the Press has been barred from disclosing the real name of Carl Beech, 50.
But his identity was revealed yesterday after a judge lifted the reporting restriction after Beech was accused of perverting the course of justice.
For four years, the Press has been barred from disclosing the real name of Carl Beech, 50 (pictured in a recent image, left, and an older one, right)
He had previously accused former Conservative prime minister Edward Heath, Tory ex-home secretary Leon Brittan and the former head of the armed forces, Field Marshal Lord Bramall, of being part of a VIP child sex ring.
He also claimed some of the men –including ex-Tory MP Harvey Proctor –were involved in the murders of three boys. Since 2014 – when he first went public with his allegations of VIP child sex abuse and murder – he had only been known by the pseudonym ‘Nick’.
His real identity was revealed after he appeared in court yesterday over allegations he invented his claims of child sex abuse and serial murder. Beech, who is accused of 12 counts of perverting the course of justice and one count of fraud, attended a hearing at Newcastle Crown Court via videolink.
Judge Paul Sloan QC, the Recorder of Newcastle, lifted a reporting restriction which prevented media outlets from identifying the defendant.
No pleas have been entered and Beech has been listed to stand trial on May 7.
The proceedings will take place at Newcastle Crown Court and are scheduled to last between six and eight weeks.
At a hearing last month, Beech’s barrister, Raymond Tully, said: ‘We anticipate that the matter will be fully contested.’
He had previously accused former Conservative prime minister Edward Heath (left) and Tory ex-home secretary Leon Brittan (right)
The charges of perverting the course of justice include allegations Beech lied about witnessing three child murders and falsely claimed to have been sexually assaulted by a paedophile ring including senior ranking officers within the military, military intelligence, politicians and a TV presenter.
Prosecutors also allege he provided a penknife and two military epaulettes, falsely saying that he had retained them when he was abused as a child, and falsified an email account and provided false information purportedly sent from someone called ‘Fred’, who he had named as present when he claimed he was abused by a paedophile ring.
It is also alleged by the Crown Prosecution Service that he falsely claimed that he had suffered serious injuries as a result of having been sexually and physically abused as a child.
The fraud charge alleges that he falsely claimed £22,000 in criminal injuries compensation by saying ‘he was subjected to abuse by a paedophile ring, knowing this to be untrue and intending thereby to make a gain for himself’.
He also made claims about the former head of the Army, Lord Bramall (left), and the former Tory MP Harvey Proctor (right)
Scotland Yard’s Operation Midland inquiry into Beech’s allegations of child rape and serial murder involving an establishment child sex ring ran for 16 months and cost £2.5million. It closed without a single arrest in March 2016.
Earlier this year, the CPS said there was ‘sufficient evidence’ to bring 12 charges of perverting the course of justice and one of fraud against him.
Frank Ferguson, the CPS’s head of special crime, said in July: ‘The CPS has considered a file of evidence from Northumbria Police relating to allegations of perverting the course of justice and fraud by a 50-year-old man.
‘The police investigation provided evidence that the man had made a number of false allegations alleging multiple homicides and sexual abuse said to have been carried out in the 1970s and 1980s.
‘Following careful consideration we have concluded there is sufficient evidence to bring a number of criminal charges.’
The allegations sparked the £2.5million Westminster VIP paedophile probe
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.